Framedata provider

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Hi
I´m a total beginner at this, but are following the tutorial with no problem untill now.

I don´t get the connection to the database to work. Even if I try the complete music store I get the error, Framedata provider not installed.

I´ve searched on internet without any luck.

Can someone please point me in the right direction so I can countinou this great toutorial?!

Thanks

//Johan (Sweden)

Coordinator
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:53 AM

I've never seen a framedata provider error on ASP.NET. Can you copy the full error message here?

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I´m not sure that this is what you wanted, but this error occur when I try to add the *.mdf file in App_data folder.

----

An error occurred while processing the local data file:
Unable to find the requested .net framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

---

If I then press OK and continue to create the StoreDB.edmx I don´t have any connection as I should have according to the tutorial. 

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM

It sounds like you may not have SQL Server Express installed then. You can use another instance of SQL Server, or you can install SQL Server Express from here: http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I think you need SQL Compact as well http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/compact.aspx

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2011 at 5:40 PM

You need SQL Compact for Version 3 of the tutorial and later. Part 1 now includes a section which lists the required software and how to get your workstation set up.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Hello Jon This is an excellent tutorial . I have been following this from version 2 and 2.1 of the code. I have similar issues .

.I have  installed the above software( SQL Server Express 2008 RC2 and the SQL Compact  Version 3.2)  .I have included the stack trace below.    

Server Error in '/' Application.
Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.]
   System.Data.Common.DbProviderFactories.GetFactory(String providerInvariantName) +1402071
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.TryInitializeFromAppConfig(String name) +614
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.Initialize() +85
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalConnection.get_ConnectionHasModel() +31
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.LazyInternalContext.InitializeContext() +249
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.Initialize() +30
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.InternalContext.GetEntitySetAndBaseTypeForType(Type entityType) +34
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.Initialize() +148
   System.Data.Entity.Internal.Linq.InternalSet`1.get_InternalContext() +33
   System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.DbQuery`1.System.Linq.IQueryable.get_Provider() +66
   System.Linq.Queryable.OrderByDescending(IQueryable`1 source, Expression`1 keySelector) +66
   MvcMusicStore.Controllers.HomeController.GetTopSellingAlbums(Int32 count) in C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\Jon-Share\MvcMusicStore-v3.0\MvcMusicStore\MvcMusicStore\Controllers\HomeController.cs:28
   MvcMusicStore.Controllers.HomeController.Index() in C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\Jon-Share\MvcMusicStore-v3.0\MvcMusicStore\MvcMusicStore\Controllers\HomeController.cs:18
   lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +96
   System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +17
   System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +208
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +55
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +263
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +19
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +191
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +343
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +116
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +97
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +37
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +21
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +12
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +62
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +50
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +7
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +22
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +60
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8841105
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM

aholly - If you're working on the 2.1 release, all data access is against SQL Server Express. I'd recommend if possible that you jump over to latest release. There are save points from the end of each chapter so you don't have to start over. If you're stuck on the 2.x releases, we'll need to troubleshoot which database it's looking for and why it's not being found. Can you let me know what the <connectionStrings> section of your web.config looks like?

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Hi,

I'm getting the exact same error as aholly.  My connectionString is the same one you outlined in v.3:

<connectionStrings>

<add name="MusicStoreEntities"

connectionString="data source=|DataDirectory|\MvcMusicStore.mdf"

providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0"/>

<connectionStrings/>

Thanks Jon.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:42 AM

@tgerman1029 - Your connection is pointing to MvcMusicStore.mdf, should be MvcMusicStore.sdf:

<connectionStrings>
     connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|MvcMusicStore.sdf"
  </connectionStrings>  

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Hi Jon,

Thanks for answering.  I made a mistake when I typed out the connection string, I am using the MvcMusicStore.sdf and not the .mdf and I still get the error.  Any suggestions?

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 4:34 PM

@tgerman1029

1. Make sure you have all the prerequisites installed. You can do that using this Web Platform Installer: http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appid=VWD2010SP1Pack
  2. Run the completed project, which is included in the sample download. If you don't have it, you can grab it from http://mvcmusicstore.codeplex.com/releases/view/64379 - it's MvcMusicStore-v3.0.zip

Let me know if the completed project works. If it does, there's a problem with your project somewhere; if not, it's an installation problem.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I ran into this today. I have SQL Server Express 2008 RC2, but I don't use SQL Compact. I simply commented out the whole connectionString node in my web.config and everything started working:

<!--<connectionStrings>
  </connectionStrings>-->  

Since MvcMusicStore uses EF Code First, the DB is automatically created in SQL Express, as part of its conventions.

Hope this helps.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Edited Nov 8, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I have some problem like this, it's SOLVED when I comment connectionStrings in web.config

<!--<connectionStrings>
  </connectionStrings>-->  
When I run, it's automatically create DB, name MvcMusicStore.Models.MusicStoreEntities
1. is there any explanation? on how to DB automatically created?
2. for what that connectionStrings in web.config is created?

I'm runnig from MVCMusic project solution that have been completed from codeplex

anyway, Thanks n Best Regards
Malik
Nov 8, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Malik,

MVC Music Store used Entity Framework to access the database. EF uses a number of conventions to ease development. One of these conventions is that if a connection string is not explicitly specified, it will assume a default connection string based on a server name of ".\SQLEXPRESS" (this is SQL Server Express default instance name), with Windows integrated authentication, and a database name that matches the full class name (including namespace) of the DbContext class. In the this case, this is MvcMusicStore.Models.MusicStoreEntities. If the DB already exists, it will be used. If it doesn't, EF will create it for you.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:41 AM
dliuzzi wrote:

Malik,

MVC Music Store used Entity Framework to access the database. EF uses a number of conventions to ease development. One of these conventions is that if a connection string is not explicitly specified, it will assume a default connection string based on a server name of ".\SQLEXPRESS" (this is SQL Server Express default instance name), with Windows integrated authentication, and a database name that matches the full class name (including namespace) of the DbContext class. In the this case, this is MvcMusicStore.Models.MusicStoreEntities. If the DB already exists, it will be used. If it doesn't, EF will create it for you.

there's a Model with the name MusicStoreEntities inherit from DBContext, cool, its will automatically create DB with this namespace include its tables

Thanks