Why sdf not mdf file included with the source

Oct 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM

The sdf and not mdf file was included with the source and I had to look for it when I was getting a 'Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider' error. The mdf is in a separate zip file.

Most users either use SQL Server or the Express edition. Not the CE edition. So why wasn't the mdf file included?

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM
The tutorial focuses on using SQL Server CE for a lot of reasons - the main being that I high percentage of problems from previous users was due to problems with SQL Server configuration.
The first chapter of the tutorial points that out in the software requirements section, and the mdf file is included in the main download (see the Data folder).
It's definitely a tradeoff, but I've seen a lot less problems with database configuration (assuming you've got the documented prerequisites installed) since making the switch to SQL CE.
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM, abdu <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The sdf and not mdf file was included with the source and I had to look for it when I was getting a 'Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider' error. The mdf is in a separate zip file.

Most users either use SQL Server or the Express edition. Not the CE edition. So why wasn't the mdf file included?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (mvcmusicstore@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email mvcmusicstore@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I downloaded the app from the source section and it didn't have the mdf file. It was in the assests zip file. Even After using the mdf file and changing the connection string to use it, now I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Model compatibility cannot be checked because the database does not contain model metadata. Ensure that IncludeMetadataConvention has been added to the DbModelBuilder conventions.

I didn't want to spend more time troubleshooting another issue.

I noticed a file called MvcMusicStore-Create.sql. I didn't see a reference to it in the tutorial or source code so I don't know what its purpose. Also the table names in the script are in plural while the tables names in the mdf file are singular. Conclusion: not the script that populated the mdf? All this is making things more confusing.

I downloaded and installed SQL CE and the app works now.

Thanks for your reply.

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Glad it's working for you