Publishing to remote server

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Im new to the world of and windows hosting, I've recently purchased a windows host so i can begin learning and im having some issues.

I have completed the tutorial and it works perfectly on my local PC, but my issue start when i want to publish it on my remote server, Im having serious issues getting it to connect to the database, I had hoped that simply uploading the app_data file with the website would be enough, but it throws a network error message stating it can't connect. If you could write a quick addition to the tutorial with information for deployment or something similar that would be very helpful!

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM

The application is using a local instance of SQL Server Express, so your hosting account will need to support that for the database to work in App_Data. If not, you can install a copy of the database using the SQL Scripts found in the /Data folder of the Assets zip that's included in the download.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Im guessing i need to go and learn about connection strings and how to write them and such then :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM

A great reference for connection strings is at 

Your hosting company may have information about that in their database setup area as well.

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I have similar problem. I've managed to use MSSql 2008 database on my hosting provider's server. Everything is working ok, just admin authorization is not working. Is there anything else that I have to do, to make the authorization working?

Thanks, Matic